Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sewlific


Some people may know this, but I'm really into sewing. More specifically, I'm really into re-creating period garments down to the last detail. This is an expensive hobby/profession. Not only because the materials can cost approximately one metric butt-ton of money (especially if you are really into details), but because it takes A LOT of time to get all of those details right and accurate. I do bunches of reading and research to find out how to get the right look for the right time period. Wouldn't you know it, but there isn't a great deal of information on how to make a woman's oversleeve on a Tudor dress or exactly how far down a man's regency jacket is supposed to hang. I mean, really!

I love doing costume research, though. It's pretty much just looking at pictures. Loads and loads of pictures. When I worked at Performing Arts Supply, I could easily justify sitting in front of the computer nearly all day looking at pictures and drawings of pretty clothes from eras gone by.

Like any girl, though, I'm more into ladies' clothes than men's. My favorite time periods are (in no particular order) Tudor Renaissance, 1830's, 1870's, Medieval, and 1930's although I am a fan of anything before 1980. I am fascinated by dressmaking and hatmaking techniques before modern technology. So much more time was spent on little things like pleating and hand-stitching, before mass-production was introduced. Purchasing clothes back then was a BIG deal because they weren't cheap.

I'm hoping to be able to get paid eventually for doing what I love. I've got an Etsy store that I hope to fill with beautiful reproductions in the not-too-distant future. I'm currently saving money from a sewing project I've been paid to do for Annunciation Orthodox School. They are performing St. George and the Dragon in May and I've been asked to build 2 capes, 4 medieval peasant kirtles and surcotes, a Princess dress (pictured) and 4 or so peasant caps. I'll have pics of those soon on the PatternReview widget.

Meanwhile, if anyone knows of anyone that needs a period repro garment and has money to spend, let's talk!

3 comments:

Anita Mae Draper said...

This sounds terrific! I'm bookmarking this site and keeping you in mind for when I sell a couple books. I'll check back before then, however. :)

Anita Mae.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I absolutely love period clothing, ANY period! Your Etzy shop is full of beautiful gowns. Love it! You do a wonderful job :)

info korners said...

i like your work on the blog spot :)fashion n'd style