Saturday, November 08, 2008

Consciousness


You know, it’s really a popular thing to buy stuff in America. Something that has been brought to my attention recently is fair trade. From Disney to Target to Gap to Wal-Mart, how can we be sure that what we’re buying is not created by the back-breaking sweatshop labor of little children and pregnant women? I guess the answer is: we can’t. There is a YouTube video called Digital Cemeteries that has pretty much ensured that I will never again purchase another cell phone until I absolutely have to, maybe ever. What is the real cost of buying stuff in America? The turnaround on electronics is such that we have tons and tons of electronic waste every month. As soon as the next generation of iPods is available, the one you had last week is just another valueless piece of beryllium and lead. The truth is the internal parts do have value to poor people in China who (toxically) take them apart for the minute amounts of gold contained within.

What about coffee and chocolate? What about clothing? Are the people that grow the beans being paid fairly for their time and land? Is that shirt you’re wearing being manufactured by the slave labor of a 13-year-old locked in a sweltering workroom while their passport has been stolen by their manager, ensuring that they won’t try to leave? I know it sounds terribly “activist,” but I don’t think I can push it to the back of my mind anymore.

The places in China, where our toxic electronic junk is dumped, are absolute wastelands. Children play in radioactive waste, and women are 6 times more likely to have miscarriages. We are selling out the children of God because we have to have toys. It disgusts me.

There’s a new conglomerate of companies that have banded together to help eliminate AIDS in Africa. They’re marketing a line of products called (Red). Have you heard of it? It’s a really great cause, but here’s the thing: they’re SELLING you STUFF. Why not just band together because it’s right? While many of the companies like GAP are proudly fair trade, some of the products are electronic gadgets that will eventually end up somewhere around the world, poisoning someone. Sure, you too can be an AIDS activist if you buy, buy, buy these things.

Last night, we watched a documentary called “What Would Jesus Buy?” It’s a great flick to start off your holiday season. It’ll make you think twice before starting your Christmas shopping. I’m actually not asking for anything for Christmas this year. Let me rephrase that. I’m actually asking to not be given anything for Christmas this year. I think instead that I’m going to try to volunteer somewhere and make it a new Christmas tradition. It truly is better to give than receive.

No comments: